2.08.2013

Book Review: Tree Hugger by Kea Alwang

 
 

*I recieved a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.*

Synopsis (from Goodreads.com): "Treehugger" is Book One of the "Based on a Dream" YA fantasy series.
For fourteen-year-old Chloe, planet hopping is a gift. Righting the wrongs of the multiverse on behalf of a mysterious life form is a privilege. Leading a double life has its perks. Being Earth-born, however, simply bites. Chloe knows she will never fit in when high school starts; that's a given. It's not like she can reveal her true self and her unusual abilities on Earth anyway. She used to be okay with that, as long as her two best friends were part of her extraterrestrial life, understanding her the way nobody else could. That was before those friends vanished. That was before some jerk displayed her underwear on his head. Now two-thirds short of feeling whole, Chloe becomes an enemy to herself just as a terrifying nemesis threatens to resurface. Can she fight through weakened skills, fearsome flashbacks, and evolving relationships to meet her future head on? Does it really matter what world you're on when trying to find yourself?
 
My Review: Treehugger is definitely one of my favorite reads so far this year! I was pretty excited to get a review copy of this one, and I'm super excited to say that it lived up to my expectations.

I'll start out with the characters! The main character, Chloe (aka Star of Earth) was most definitely my favorite. She was relate-able and different at the same time, she changed a whole lot throughout the book, and it was really easy to connect with her. CK!!! (one of Star's best friends) All I'll say is that I cannot wait to read more about him. I also loved Star's other friends on Jacondor. They were so diverse and different and awesome and fun to read about! Another character I'm dying to read more about is Niik.

I loved the world-building. It was incredible, and there were LOTS of worlds to build. I'm very impressed that I was able to picture them all pretty clearly. :) This book was mostly told from Star's point of view, but there were two or three chapters where it switched to another character. There wasn't anything obvious to indicate that the POV had switched, so it was confusing the first time it hap pend, but I really enjoyed it once I figured out what was going on.

Around page 50, this book pretty much glued itself to my hands. It was fast-paced and exciting, and there was always a lot going on. A lot happened in this book, but there's sooooo much more that could happen. I'm super excited for book two!

The only thing about this book that I didn't love was the first few chapters. This book took a lot of explaining to get started. It was interesting and definitely necessary, but it slowed down the beginning quite a bit. If you get the chance to read this book and find yourself bogged down by these chapters, don't give up! The rest of the book is more than worth it!


 
Thanks for reading!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!