10.25.2012

Haunted Week: Bats in Your Book Pages

{This Girl Reads}

Even the biggest book enthusiasts have some bats in their belfries about things in books that drive them insane. Today tell your readers about five things that drive you crazy in books.


I talked about a few things that drive me insane in the last Haunted Week post, so you may see a few of those here as well. Here's my five:

1. Too Much Cussing
 I don't cuss, and most of my friends don't either. In fact, most of the people I know don't usually cuss. It drives me crazy that some authors seem to think that every other word that comes out of a teen's mouth is a cuss word. 


2. When the writing is fantastic, but the story goes nowhere.
I don't even know what to say when this happens. I want to love the book because the writing is awesome, but I'm irritated with the book because hardly anything happens.


3. The main character being "irresistibly drawn" to the "dangerous boy."
What about all the perfectly good regular boys? And also, "irresistibly drawn." That phrase is sooo unrealistic and overused. 

4. When it takes the main character pages and pages and pages to realize that, Yes. This is actually happening. 
I would think that if you didn't think it was real at first, you would have left and not just gone on with it. Just sayin'.

5. YA Parents.
Real parents with teen don't let their children do whatever they want. They usually notice pretty quickly when their teen is sneaking out. They aren't all rich. There are usually two of them. Not all families are dysfunctional. Oh, and they often times have more than one kid. 
Some of the "bats in my book pages" would be alright if they didn't happen in EVERY. SINGLE. BOOK. I'm exaggerating of course, but still. What about you? What are the bats in your book pages? If you are participating in Haunted Week, feel free to leave links in the comments!

10 comments:

  1. I had to check out your entries...and the first one is about cussing! I don't personally have a problem with cursing in books, unless it is superfluous and only there to shock. I grew up with an older brother (cusses) and a mom who would apologize for saying "damn" (doesn't cuss). The only time I am shocked by cursing is when someone I have never met starts dropping the f bomb. I find that highly disrespectful. Weird, I know.

    YA needs to come up with some other "hooks" to get some drama going; yes, the bad boy who just needs an understanding gal and the missing parents/siblings are getting so tired.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind a little bit of cussing, and sometimes it may be even necessary, but more than anything else, the f bomb really turns me off a book.

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Great topics—I put parents on my list, too! And I completely agree with the siblings thing. Even other characters, like best friends and the love interests won't have any siblings either. It's so strange!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. It seems like a lot of us bloggers have the same problems! (I wonder why...) LOL. It's totally weird! And if you've noticed, a lot of parents in YA novels are freaking just..."Go smoke pot, honey. I did it when I was a kid." At which point, you have to stare at the book for a bit before understanding comes. LOL.

    The 'irresistibly drawn' is terribly overdone! I haven't picked up a book IN AGES about a girl who just wants a good guy. (Not that I complaining! LOL)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I've noticed a lot of the same things on other blogs as well. Maybe someone will take the hint....

      Thanks for stopping back!

      Delete
  4. I don't swear either so that is a big issue with me too. Ugh, being "irresistibly drawn" to someone is so unrealistic and annoying. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  5. #4 made me laugh because I know exactly what you're talking about. LOL. Awesome list! :)

    My FF

    Old follower hopping through! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!