9.23.2012

Book Review: The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater


Synopsis (from Goodreads.com): "There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark's Eve," Neeve said. "Either you're his true love...or you killed him."
It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them-not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.
His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.
But blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can't entirely explain. He has it all-family money, good looks, devoted friends-but he's looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Nah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.
For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she's not so sure any more.
From Maggie Stiefvater, the bestselling and acclaimed author of the Shiver trilogy and The Scorpio Races, comes a spellbinding new series where the inevitability of death and the nature of love lead us to a place we've never been before. 
My Review: I'm not sure what I can say about this book that will adequately express how much I loved it. 

Maggie is a genius. The Raven Boys was incredible. Like in The Scorpio Races, The Raven Boys is written in a more artistic and flowing way than The Wolves of Mercy Falls. The story and the characters are so vastly different in Shiver or Linger, and I absolutely love it. 

This book was very descriptive, and I felt that the descriptions were incredibly detailed and perfectly placed. This is one of those books where the words paint a picture for you, and the picture was amazing. I read The Raven Boys in one sitting, but this is one I could easily spend hours on, just soaking in all the details. 

The story was just so intriguing and unique and it immediately stole me away. The characters were dynamic and fit together perfectly with the story and the descriptions, and were just.... amazing. 

The endings to Maggie's books are definitely my favorites. This one was just as perfect as the rest of the book, and all the more infuriating, because it happened to be a cliffhanger. !!!!!!!!

As always, Maggie has more than surpassed my expectations and left me breathless. Thank you for being a genius!



Thanks for reading!

10 comments:

  1. Is this one book one of a new series? I can get this one at the digital library. Your rave review gets me pretty amped to read this one. It sounds awesome. The only pitfall, I HATE cliffhangers. Sometimes I wait for book #2 to be closer to the release date before I read #1. Nicely reviewed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one just came out on September 18th. I would say go ahead and read it now. The cliffhanger wasn't too bad actually. It was more that the book ended that got me. ;)

      Delete
  2. So glad you like this one too. I love her writing, because she makes it so easy picture what you are reading. I can't wait for the next book. Great review..

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Maggie is definitely one of my favorite authors!

      Delete
  3. I have yet to read any of her stuff, but this one is on the top of my list!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all of Maggie's books! If you like this one, definitely check out The Scorpio Races next!

      Delete
  4. I loved The Scorpio Races! I loved the characters, especially Sean and Holly. I literally broke into a smile when I found out Finn bet on Puck, 45-1. I love how the romance in there was subtle, and not at all awkward or way-over-the-top. Hey, where's your review on The Scorpio Races? :) I'd love to read it.

    Is The Raven Boys a series? A trilogy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you for stopping by! The Raven Boys is a series, but I'm not sure how many books will be in the series, but there are definitely more to come. :)

      Here's my review for The Scorpio Races: http://manda-b.blogspot.com/2011/11/book-review-scorpio-races-by-maggie.html

      Delete
  5. I loved the Scorpio Races so I'm pretty excited for this book. Your review makes me want to start reading it now!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!