8.08.2012

Book Review: The Fairytale Keeper: Avenging the Queen by Andrea Cefalo

*I received a digital copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review*
Synopsis (from Goodreads.com): Snow White was a pet name her mother had given her, but her mother’s dead now. Adelaide hates that name anyway. A rampant fever claimed Adelaide’s mother just like a thousand others in Cologne where the people die without Last Rites and the dead are dumped in a large pit outside of the city walls. Adelaide’s father is determined to obtain a funeral for his wife, but that requires bribing the parish priest, Father Soren. When Soren commits an unforgivable atrocity, he pushes Adelaide to her breaking point, but if she seeks justice against the cruel priest, she risks sacrificing everything: her father, her friends, her first love, and maybe even her life.

My Review: This was an interesting and unique read. It's a historical fiction influenced by a mix of different fairytales. It wasn't a retelling, but I enjoyed the way the classic tales were woven in. 

Adelaide (Addie) was my favorite character. She was a strong character in more ways than one. She stood up for what she believed in and tried to do what was right, and kept going even when everything screamed at her to stop. Ivo was another of my favorites. He was strong like Addie, and sweet :). 

It didn't take me very long to get sucked into the story, but it took me a little while to get used to the style of writing. It's different, but it suits this story. The actual story was great! It was very dynamic. There was never a slow moment, and I couldn't put the book down. I loved how much Addie grew as a character and a person, and the ways she changed. I also loved the different ways the fairytales popped up.

And then came the end. Gah! That can't be it! It was perfect, and I was excited and it ENDED! I sincerely hope there will be a book two!




Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for commenting on my blog!
    Followed you-follow me back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks for the follow!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad that you liked it Amanda. :) Book two comes out next summer. Thanks again for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!