8.28.2012

Blogger Pet-Peeves

School has started back up for me (my excuse for the lapse in posts ;), and I don't have a lot to actually post about anyway right now, so here comes a rant about my personal pet-peeves as a book-blogger. Feel free to skip this post!

1. When authors/publicists/publishers don't read my review policy.
I would think that it's common knowledge that every blogger has his/her own submission guidelines for review copies. That being said, I would think that people submitting things for review would actually want to read those guidelines before sending an email. I have lots of links around my blog to my policy, and a whole page dedicated to my policy. I think that my policy is pretty clearly outlined (if it's not, shoot me an email so I can fix it!). A few points of it are:

  • I do accept self-published
  • I am not currently accepting e-books due to the inconvenience of not having an e-reader
  • I accept only YA novels and some MG
  • I'm not currently featuring paranormal books
It really sort of annoys me when I get requests for adult paranormal romance. It also annoys me when the emails start out with "I know you don't accept self-published, but..." I do accept self-published. I do. I promise I wasn't lying when I said that in my policy. 

When I can't accept a book because of the e-reader thing, and if it's something I or readers (you guys) may be interested in, I'll offer to do a book spotlight instead. So all you authors with no hard-copies available, I'm sorry, but I can't read your book right now. Shoot me an email about doing a feature post instead.

2. Blog awards
They're sometimes nice and thoughtful, but they're time consuming and can be annoying.  


3. "I just followed you, can you please follow me back?"
No. I usually only follow the blogs I want to read, and ask no less of you. I always appreciate the follow, but I love readers more, and commenters the most :) It makes my day when I get a comment. You are more than welcome to leave a link your blog, as long as it isn't spam (check my policy page for that). I will definitely stop by your blog!


4. People who post the same comment to every participant's meme post (Book Blogger Hop, IMM, etc.).
The purpose of these memes is to actually read the post, as well as get blog exposure. Its kind of inconsiderate just to copy and paste. I always read the post, and try to comment in a way that pertains to the post, not the meme. 

These are just a few things that bother me. They may or may not be a problem for you, and that's perfectly fine :) I'd love to hear your opinions and pet-peeves, so post a comment or leave a link if you've done a similar post! This post is by no means meant to call anybody out, and I ask that all comments be kept respectful :).

Thanks for reading!

8 comments:

  1. I completely agree with 3 and 4. They are the kinds of people who don't really understand what a book blog is about. I don't mind people linking to their IMM but only if they comment with something related to my IMM too
    I got a post on a book review the other day and it was just saying they were following me and would love for me to follow them. What about the book I spent time reading and reviewing?!
    I'm totally with you lol

    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when people leave me links to their posts for the meme, if they leave a thoughtful comment. Otherwise, it's sort of spammy.

      I get those follow-me comments a lot on completely unrelated posts, and I totally feel the same way!

      Thank you for the comment!

      Delete
  2. Totally agree! Especially #3 and #4. Copy and paste comments drive me nuts and I think it's rude. I also can't stand when people leave a comment that says "Nice! I'm having a giveaway...." Ugh! Do not like to your giveaway in a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    I agree with #4! :P

    Christine x
    Rainy Day Reads
    www.rainydayreads.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one :)

      Thank you so much for the comment!

      Delete
  4. Oh, Gosh. I've been wanting to write a post like this for a long time. I have so many of them. I agree with all of these. Well done! I seriously think that 95% of the authors or publishers that contact me even read my policy. I get the request and I'm left looking at the email like o.O really?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! One too many of those emails pushed me to write this. I'm glad you agree!

      Delete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!