7.19.2012

Book Review: Girl Unmoored by Jennifer Gooch Hummer

Synopsis (from Goodreads.com): Apron Bramhall has come unmoored. It's 1985 and her mom has passed away, her evil stepmother is pregnant, and her best friend has traded her in for a newer model. Fortunately, she’s about to be saved by Jesus. Not that Jesus—the actor who plays him in Jesus Christ Superstar. Apron is desperate to avoid the look-alike Mike (no one should look that much like Jesus unless they can perform a miracle or two), but suddenly he's everywhere. Until one day, she’s stuck in church with him—of all places. And then something happens—Apron’s broken teenage heart blinks on for the first time since she’s been adrift. Mike and his grumpy boyfriend, Chad, offer her a summer job in their flower store and Apron's world seems to calm. But when she uncovers Chad's secret, stormy seas return. Apron starts to see things the adults around her fail to, like what love really means, and who is paying too much for it.  Apron has come unmoored, but now she'll need to take the helm if she's to get herself and those she loves to safe harbor. 
My Review: *I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.* I loved this book so much. This is a contemporary, coming-of-age sort of book, and usually that's not my forte, and the summary put me off a bit, but I'm more than glad that I got a copy of Girl Unmoored. 

I loved the main character, Apron. She is pretty much awesome, just like her name. She was always determined through out the book, and had an idea or opinion about everything. She had the simple view of a child that saw through all the complicated nonsense of adults. I loved watching as she grew up through the course of the book and found herself again, and found reason for the crazy world she lives in, despite everything that was a hardship for her. 

I also loved Mike, and how good of a friend he was to Apron, and how much he cared about everything, and how he was always willing to help. And of course Chad, who was grumpy (with good reason) and had the best jokes. 

On top of all the amazing characters, this book made me cry. In a good way, of course. Any book that can make me cry is definitely worth reading. 




Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you loved this book, I was just expecting an average read when I read the blurb. Contemporary novels are also not my favourite genre, but Girl Unmoored has made me far more broad-minded with regards to genre! Beautiful story, beautiful writing, beautiful characters...and I cried too, but it was all good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way about it, I'm glad you agree!

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much, Amanda, for spreading the word about this brilliant book! Girl Unmoored is among my favorite books of this year! Did you know the ebook version of Girl Unmoored is FREE this weekend (July 21st and 22nd) where all ebooks are sold? For anyone here who hasn't read it, here you go: http://tinyurl.com/d9yr5se

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy that I saw how much you loved this book. I went to buy it for my nook & was thrilled that it was free for Nook too! Sometimes you an find it free on kindle but not Nook so thanks so much for the heads up from Kim & for the great review from you. Happy Reading Ya'll!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you were able to get it! I hope you enjoy it too!

      Delete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!