6.27.2012

Guest Post - Handling Writers Block with Elisabeth Wheatley


Hello readers! I'm scheduling this post, so I hope it works! Anyway, today we have with us Elisabeth Wheatley, 16-year-old author of the Argetallam Saga. I'm hosting this guest post as part of a blog tour in honor of her newest book, The Secrets of the Vanmars, and her guest post just so happens to be about that dreaded writers block. 




~~~~~

Back when I first started writing my first book, The Key of Amatahns, it wasn’t important if I got writer’s block. In those days (all of two years ago), writing was an amusement, a diversion. If I got stuck I’d just drop it and leave it for a few weeks until another wave of inspiration hit me.

Then I got published, started taking writing seriously, and now writer’s block is one of the worst things that can happen to me. After I finish a book, I go through a period of weeks or even months where my brain feels drained, like all the stories were sucked out of my head and the reservoir of creativity needs time to recharge. But this isn’t a big deal because I’ve just finished a book, so there’s no rush for the next one.

But when the time comes for me to buckle down and finish a book, writer’s block is a very big deal. Few things are as infuriating, as maddening, as irksome. To be bluntly honest, I deal with writer’s block very poorly. I get cranky, snap like a rattlesnake at everyone, storm around the house like the White Witch, and glare daggers and dinner knives at my blank computer screen.

I’ve found that reading massive quantities of action-packed, fight-scene rich fantasy can help loosen my creative muscles, but it doesn’t always work. Sometimes I can’t even concentrate on the book I’m supposed to be reading. Walking helps, as does watching action-packed movies, but there are days that, no matter what I do, I simply won’t be writing.

I sometimes force myself to write through writer’s block, spewing nonsense onto the page, telling stories that would be outlawed as crimes against literature if they were ever published. But once I have spilled out all the gibberish, I can go back and re-write a story that is much better.

My closing thoughts on writer’s block...it’s treatable and it eventually goes away. The trick is learning what makes it go away faster for you. I still haven’t gotten the thing figured out, but at sixteen, I guess I’ve got time, right?
~~~~~

Thanks Elisabeth, for that awesome post! 

For anyone interested in learning more about Elisabeth's books, I included the link for her website above, and feel free to watch this book trailer. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!