6.24.2012

Awesome Teen Writers Conference and In My Mailbox (17)

Hi all!

I spent the last week in Utah visiting family and touring college campuses (next year! woot!), and I also had the awesome opportunity to go to a Teen Writers Conference at Weber State University. Not only was it a lot of fun, but I got to see a friend I haven't met in person with for six years, and I learned LOTS! I would absolutely love to go again next summer! Anyway, since I enjoyed it so much, I thought I'd give a short rundown of my day (IMM ties in there ;).

So I got there at 8:30 for registration after taking a quick, unofficial tour of the campus. That's when I met up with my friend Elise (she blogs over at Scientist Studies, which is not actually a science blog... nor is it a poetry blog..). We all got a name tag, a pin to place on the map showing where we came from, a pen, and a blank composition notebook. Oh, and a schedule. The people in charge did an introduction, and then we split up for workshops! The first three I went to were “Pre-writing to Simplify the Writing Process” with Karen Hoover“The Best Class on Description EVER” with Sarah M. Eden, and “Creating Gripping Conflict: Booms, Blasts, and Quiet Desperation,” with Annette Lyon. Then, we had lunch. 


All throughout the day, there was a bookstore of sorts set up where the authors who attended made copies of their books available. I bought one, of course. It's called Possession, and it's by Elana Johnson. And she was our keynote speaker for the day! So after lunch, we got to hear from her! The title of her keynote was "Working Through Hard Things to Become Who You Should Become" or, "The Longest Title for a Keynote Ever". But that's not the best part. The best part is... after the keynote was over, my friend Elise walked up to her with me and....... she signed my book! Needless to say, I was pretty excited :) (That's where IMM comes in).


After the keynote, I stuck around for Elana's presentation on "Structure in Novels." The last workshop of the day I went to was "The Serious Business of Writing Funny" with DeNae Handy, which was pretty funny. :) When workshops were over, there was a Q&A session with the authors, and then the winners of the contest were announced. When we signed up for the conference way back at the beginning of June, we were given the option to enter a contest with the prompt: one page of anything that is creative writing. If you'd like to read my entry (which got good scores but didn't win), shoot me an email at amandaswritings@gmail.com or add me on Goodreads (the button is up top) to read it in my story section. 

So coming away from the conference, I got a signed book, twenty-something pages of awesome notes, a notebook, a pen, and a good time. It was a lot of fun, and I look forward to next year! 

In other news, I have a giveaway going on as part of a summer blog tour! Check out the post to see the rules for entry. Tomorrow (if I have internet at the hotel) I'll be posting a review of Insurgent by Veronica Roth (best book EVER!) and then later, I am another stop in a blog tour! That one will have to be scheduled, so I hope it works! Anyway, I got Possession by Elana Johnson this week for IMM, and I want to know what you got too! Leave me links in the comments! 

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! sounds awesome and definitely worth a repeat of the experience next year from the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally think so too! Haha, thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!