4.09.2012

Book Review: Zero by Tom Leveen


Synopsis (from Goodreads.com): For aspiring artist Amanda Walsh, who only half-jokingly goes by the nickname Zero, the summer before college was supposed to be fun—plain and simple. Hanging out with her best friend Jenn, going to clubs, painting, and counting down the days until her escape. But when must-have scholarship money doesn't materialize, and she has a falling out with Jenn that can only be described as majorly awkward, and Zero's parents relationship goes from tense to relentless fighting, her prospects start looking as bleak and surreal as a painting by her idol Salvador Dali. Will life truly imitate art? Will her new, unexpected relationship with a punk skater boy who seems too good to be real and support from the unlikeliest of sources show Zero that she's so much more than a name.

My Review: *I received a copy of this book from Random Buzzers as part of their Ambuzzador program.* I really enjoyed this book. It was a great story, and was really artfully written, but there were a few things that brought it down for me. 

The characters were really well developed, realistic, and relateable. I liked the way the characters changed throughout the book, and how by the end of the book there was a sense of accomplishment and a fresh start. 

Amanda aka "Zero" came of a little whiny at times, but it was easily overlooked. There was a part in the book where Zero's mom calls her Amy, which is apparently short for Amanda. That really cracked me up because on of my friends used to call me Amy. Just in case you were curious ;).

Zero's relationship with Jenn was awkward to read about. I guess it was supposed to be awkward at first, but even when it wasn't supposed to be awkward any more, it still kind of was. Zero's relationship with the punk skater boy, however, was much more fun to read about. It did have it's awkward moments, but the good outweighed the bad.

Oh, and even though I am by no means an artist, I loved the art in Zero. It added a lot to the overall artistic-ness of the writing.

I didn't like all the cussing, or the sex, though. I think it was a bit overdone and frankly awkward. If it'd had even just a bit less, I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more. The cussing and the awkward scenes, and Zero's tenancy to come off whiny are what brought it down for me.

I don't read a lot of contemporary fiction like this, but I will say that this isn't the most impacting I've ever read. I read through it pretty quickly, but I could possibly see myself someday reading it again. 



Zero will be released April 24th. I got received ARC via Random Buzzers as part of the Ambuzzadors program. Enjoy the trailer, and thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you liked this one! I have this one for review, so I should be reading it fairly soon :P Great review and I'm currently having a giveaway on my blog if you'd like to check it out!

    Rabiah
    Confessions of a Readaholic

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!