4.19.2012

Book Review: Fither by Lauren DeStefano

Synopsis (from Goodreads.com):
Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion, but danger is never far behind.
Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago - surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness.
The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous - and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary.
In the sequel to Lauren DeStefano’s harrowing Wither, Rhine must decide if freedom is worth the price - now that she has more to lose than ever.

My Review: Fever didn't draw me in as well as Wither. It didn't seem as in depth to me as the first one. That's a little ironic seeing as in Wither all you get is life inside the mansion. Anyway, it picked up right where the first left off, but it didn't carry the same feeling over.

Characters: Rhine sort of ticked me off a bit for most of the book. She came off selfish. I felt that a bit in the first book, but not as much. Gabriel was pretty constant, and I did like his character a lot. Vaughn still wasn't creepy enough. The world-building, though, was fantastic. DeStefano painted a great picture of the way the world is and how it affects those in it.

I didn't really get drawn in until the last third of the book. Things picked up really quickly and didn't let off at all. At all! There was even a killer cliff-hanger! I was relieved and frustrated at the same time. ;)

Overall, not as good as Wither and a bit disappointing, but enough to keep me coming back. I'll definitely be sticking around for whatever comes next!


Here are some links for the series:


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!