3.24.2012

Book Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Synopsis (from Goodreads.com): Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

My Review: Delirium was pretty good, but not one of my favorites. It took me a while to get into it, because it seemed really familiar. It didn't seem like anything new, and the characters were kind of... irritating. They were kind of one-dimensional for a while. Luckily that changed soon enough to keep my interest, but it still didn't blow me away.

The first two-thirds or so was alright, enough to keep me reading as I said before, but it wasn't until the last third that I couldn't put it down. That's when I really started getting a feel for the characters. That's when I really saw what kind of a world Lauren Oliver had created. That's when the real action kicked in, followed by a cliff-hanger. Good thing book two is already out.

Bottom line: enjoyable, the end was fantastic, and I'll definitely be reading the next book, but I won't buy it. So far, I don't see this series as something I'll be reading over and over again. The ending saved this one for me. Four stars:


And of course, here are some links if you want to read more:


Thanks for reading, and don't forget to check out my current Giveaways!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!