2.12.2012

In My Mailbox (10)


In My Mailbox is a weekly event hosted by Kristi over at The Story Siren.com. It's way for book bloggers to get together and talke about what books they got in the past week, wether it be in your mailbox, from a friend, the bookstore, or the library. This week I got three books in the mail:




Jason Stevens is growing up in picturesque, historic Harpers Ferry, West Virginia in the 1970s. Back when the roads are smaller, the cars slower, the people more colorful, and Washington, D.C. is way across the mountains—a winding sixty-five miles away.

Jason dreams of going to art school in the city, but he must first survive his teenage years. He witnesses a street artist from Italy charm his mother from the backseat of the family car. He stands up to an abusive husband—and then feels sorry for the jerk. He puts up with his father’s hard-skulled backwoods ways, his grandfather’s showy younger wife, and the fist-throwing schoolmates and eccentric mountain characters that make up Harpers Ferry—all topped off by a basement art project with a girl from the poor side of town.

Ugly to Start With punctuates the exuberant highs, bewildering midpoints, and painful lows of growing up, and affirms that adolescent dreams and desires are often fulfilled in surprising ways.
The author sent me a copy in return for an honest review. Thank You!


It's three weeks into the school year when music junkie Casey Barnes gets a second chance with her mysterious, heartbreaking ex-boyfriend. She comes up with a plan to win him back, but it soon spins out of control as rivalries, revelations about him, and music itself all start to collide. For Casey the newfound attention means learning the difference between wanting center stage and actually being on it.

I also got this from the author for review. Thanks!


3. The Earthquake Machine by Mary Pauline Lowry

The Earthquake Machine tells the story of 14 year-old Rhonda. On the outside, everything looks perfect in Rhonda's world but at home Rhonda has to deal with a manipulative father who keeps her mentally ill mother hooked on pharmaceuticals. The only reliable person in Rhonda's life is her family's Mexican yardman, Jes s. But when the INS deports Jes?'s back to his home state of Oaxaca, Rhonda is left alone with her increasingly painful family situation. Determined to find her friend Jes s, Rhonda seizes an opportunity to run away during a camping trip with friends. She swims to the Mexican side of the Rio Grande and makes her way to the border town of Boquillas, Mexico. There a peyote-addled bartender convinces her she won't be safe traveling alone into the country's interior. So with the bartender's help, Rhonda cuts her hair and assumes the identity of a Mexican boy named Angel. She then sets off on a burro across the desert to look for Jes s. Thus begins a wild adventure that explores the borders between the United States and Mexico, adolescence and adulthood, male and female, English and Spanish, and adult coming-of-age and Young Adult novels.
Another review copy! Thank you very much!

I can't wait to get started with these three! I might actually have some downtime this week to actually read!

The half-price bookstore downtown was sadly understocked or I would have had more books this week, but I did order a book:

1. Wither by Lauren DeStefano
By age sixteen, Rhine Ellery has four years left to live. She can thank modern science for this genetic time bomb. A botched effort to create a perfect race has left all males with a lifespan of 25 years, and females with a lifespan of 20 years. Geneticists are seeking a miracle antidote to restore the human race, desperate orphans crowd the population, crime and poverty have skyrocketed, and young girls are being kidnapped and sold as polygamous brides to bear more children. When Rhine is kidnapped and sold as a bride, she vows to do all she can to escape. Her husband, Linden, is hopelessly in love with her, and Rhine can't bring herself to hate him as much as she'd like to. He opens her to a magical world of wealth and illusion she never thought existed, and it almost makes it possible to ignore the clock ticking away her short life. But Rhine quickly learns that not everything in her new husband's strange world is what it seems. Her father-in-law, an eccentric doctor bent on finding the antidote, is hoarding corpses in the basement. Her fellow sister wives are to be trusted one day and feared the next, and Rhine is desperate to communicate to her twin brother that she is safe and alive. Will Rhine be able to escape--before her time runs out?
Together with one of Linden's servants, Gabriel, Rhine attempts to escape just before her seventeenth birthday. But in a world that continues to spiral into anarchy, is there any hope for freedom?
This one has been on my wishlist for a long time now and I can't wait to read it!

Well that's what was in my mailbox this week. I can't wait to get reading! What was in your mailboxes? Leave links in the comments! Thanks for reading!

38 comments:

  1. Casey Barnes Eponymous looks really interesting. And I absolutely can't wait to read Wither. It just has such a gorgeous cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I love Wither's cover!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm glad to hear that! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  3. Wither looks very interesting. Thanks for stopping by my IMM, and enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping in! I can't wait to get reading!

      Delete
  4. Oh I want to get Wither too! Casey Barnes sounds cute :-D

    Happy reading & thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH you will LOVE Wither. I read it on the airplane home and went to the bookstore and was so disappointed that the next book was not yet out. Definitely something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. You got some interesting books this week - I haven't heard of a few of them before. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! I can't wait to get reading!

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed Wither! I hope you do too! Awesome haul!
    Thanks for stopping by :)

    Mackenzie @ Oh, For the Love of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! I can't wait 'till it comes in!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing your books and your thoughts. The Earthquake Machine looks really great. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just bought Wither and can't wait to read it. Casey Barnes Eponymous looks good. I saw it on another person's IMM. The cover's cool.
    Thanks for stopping by my IMM:)

    -Jenna @ Fans of Fiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I can't wait to read them both ;)

      Delete
  10. Wither is just amazing!! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Plus you get to read the sequel straight away :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm super excited to hear that! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. You got some great books this week.
    I can't wait to read Wither, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I can't wait to read Wither!

      Delete
  12. Great mailbox! Casey Barnes Eponymous sounds really good. I also loved Wither. I hope you enjoy all your books!

    Thanks for stopping by my mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I can't wait to start reading! :)

      Delete
  13. having a degree in art history, I am a sucker for any book with an art theme, so Ugly to Start With sounds really interesting, I'm going to have to head over to Goodreads and add it to the list! Casey Barnes looks fun too, plus I LOVE that cover! Great haul! Thanks for dropping by my blog earlier:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I hope you get to read it!

      Delete
  14. I LOVED Wither!! One of my favourite reads of 2011 - I hope you enjoy it!

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    Kelly
    Radiant Shadows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited to start it! I hope it comes in soon!

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  15. Awesome books this week!! They all sound great :)

    Happy reading and thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to start them! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  16. I hadn't heard of Ugly to Start With or Casey Barnes, but they both sound potentially good! Happy reading. =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wither looks so good! I really need to get to reading that one, I have heard amazing things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wither! Hope you like it. It's different than the fast paced dystopians but I still enjoyed it. And that Earthquake Machine book cracks me up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that :) Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!