2.08.2012

Book Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth


Synopsis (from Goodreads.com): In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself. During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.
My Review: Divergent was definitely fantastic. I've been looking forward to reading it for some time now, and I wasn't disappointed. I found it a little slow to start off, but that changed pretty quickly. The dystopian world Ms. Roth created was very interesting. It was small and compact but big and curious at the same time. The way the people were divided up into factions was interesting, too. Each faction has a different... value, I guess you could say, and the people in the faction have to live that value. As the characters started coming out it was cool to see what they thought and felt about the different factions, and how people from different factions interacted.

I loved the main character. Tris is pretty awesome. She isn't particularly pretty, and she comes from the apparently most dull faction. Her discontent with the faction quickly comes out, but I liked how she still liked what the faction stood for (selfless-ness) and still valued it, even when she had a hard time with it. She is a weird combination of blending in and standing out, and she spends a lot of time trying to balance that out. They way she interacts with others is interesting. She's just an awesome character.

The "boy" and the love interest is pretty awesome as well. He's a conflicted sort of person, also struggling with balancing himself out. It's cool to see how he and Tris interact. The love story aspect of Divergent was refreshing. There wasn't exactly a love-triangle, Tris wasn't all that insecure or weak, and the boy was awesome.

The overall story was exciting, and had a few unexpected happenings perfect for keeping me on the edge of my seat. I really enjoyed reading this book, but the end left me hanging. Just like people told me it would. I can't wait for Insurgent!


Here are some links if you want to learn more:


Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

  1. Love your review, Amanda! This book has been on my TBR list for sooo long, but I definately want to read it soon. There have been so many mixed reviews on it that I wasn't sure if it was worth it, but I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's definitely worth reading!

      Delete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!