2.20.2012

Book Review: The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson

Synopsis (from Goodreads.com): Who is Jenna Fox? Seventeen-year-old Jenna has been told that is her name. She has just awoken from a coma, they tell her, and she is still recovering from a terrible accident in which she was involved a year ago. But what happened before that? Jenna doesn't remember her life. Or does she? And are the memories really hers?

This fascinating novel represents a stunning new direction for acclaimed author Mary Pearson. Set in a near future America, it takes readers on an unforgettable journey through questions of bio-medical ethics and the nature of humanity. Mary Pearson's vividly drawn characters and masterful writing soar to a new level of sophistication.


My Review: I have nothing bad to say about this book. I'm kind of at a loss for words for this honestly. I really enjoyed it, but I don't know how to describe it. I guess I'll start with the characters.

Jenna is a fantastic character. She's really interesting right off the bat. There's something odd about her. I know that and she knows that, only we don't know just what it is. She's a quick learner, and quick to have an opinion. She's also very tolerant and understanding, and oddly relateable despite her curious conditions. Her grandmother is also a fantastic character. I didn't think her parents were as well developed as they could have been, but I have no major issues with them. Jenna's new friends, however, were a little too... distant for my liking. I didn't get to see/know them as well as I'd have liked.

The story is very intriguing. It's not a very fast-paced book. It's sort of difficult to knock it out in one weekend, but it's not slow,  per se. It gives it sort of a mystery feel, with a tad bit of urgency. As for the actual mystery of the book, the outcome isn't very difficult to predict, but it's satisfying all the same. I love how the book ended. It was sort of different, but still satisfying. I can't wait to get my hands on the second book. Five stars for sure!


Here are some links if you're interested:


Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

  1. Great review Amanda! I actually haven't heard of The Adoration of Jenna Fox yet but it sounds really good. I really enjoy reading mystery and I'm happy to hear that this one was hard to predict. I will definitely be adding this one to my list now to check out.

    Traci @ The Reading Geek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!