1.06.2012

Fablehaven by Brandon Mull

This summer while I was on vacation, my aunt asked me if I'd read the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull. When I said I hadn't, she insisted that I had to and then proceeded to ask if she could buy them for me. My response: Heck yeah! I love books! We left a few days after this awesome occurrence, and when I got home I dutifully placed my wonderful new books on my shelf.

Before I continue my story, let me tell you about Fablehaven. It is a middle grade series about preserves for magical creatures (fairies, dragons, satyrs, trolls, centaurs, demons, etc.). Mostly it is about one preserve in particular (called Fablehaven), more specifically the brother and sister (Seth and Kendra) who come to visit their grandparents who are the caretakers of the preserve. It sounded like a good series, something I would like a lot. Unfortunately they're not the type of books I normally review here (not that it matters all that much) and I signed up for A.P. Literature and Composition. A.P. Lit = lots of reading and essays. Fablehaven was pushed to the back burner and virtually forgotten.

Over Christmas break, I was re-organizing my bookshelf when Fablehaven caught my eye. Books! One's I hadn't read! I hadn't had new books in a while (this was before Santa came...) and I was desperate for something to read. I also felt sort of bad that it had taken so long for me to remember my aunt's gift. So I set to reading.

The first in the series is clearly a middle grade book, but I didn't let that throw me off. I kept reading, discovering as I did that I loved the characters and the magical world the author had created for them. I was completely hooked. That was before I got to book two. I quickly discovered that I wasn't going to be able to put this one down. The need to find out what happened next led to my finishing of nearly one book a day. These books aren't small. They're not Lord of the Rings huge, but they're definitely not small.

As school started up again this week, my reading time has sadly been cut down. I'm going on four days for the fifth and final book in the series, and it's killing me. Really. In the time I've written and posted this blog post, I could have made considerable progress with the book. That's why I'm so glad it's Friday. I finally get to finish my book! I finally get to see what happens next!

So if you have any free time and are looking for a great series, I suggest Fablehaven. It is absolutely fantastic. I'm in love with it. Read these books. The end.



Well that's why I'm excited for Friday and the weekend. What are you looking forward to? Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. They look like lots of fun! I'm going to have to hunt them down when time/money permits!

    -Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've wanted to read this series, after reading your glowing review, I want to even more! I'll have to try and make time for these books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments!

    These are definitely worth reading!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!