1.04.2012

Book Review: Trash by Andy Mulligan

Synopsis (from Goodreads): In an unnamed Third World country, in the not-so-distant future, three “dumpsite boys” make a living picking through the mountains of garbage on the outskirts of a large city.

One unlucky-lucky day, Raphael finds something very special and very mysterious. So mysterious that he decides to keep it, even when the city police offer a handsome reward for its return. That decision brings with it terrifying consequences, and soon the dumpsite boys must use all of their cunning and courage to stay ahead of their pursuers. It’s up to Raphael, Gardo, and Rat—boys who have no education, no parents, no homes, and no money—to solve the mystery and right a terrible wrong.
My Review: I absolutely loved it. I liked how the driving force of the novel was the mystery, but that the state of the country (really similar to the Philippines) wasn't left out. I think the author did a really good job of balancing everything out, including the characters (the book was written in alternating points of views). The book was written as a group of people, mostly three boys, telling a story, telling what happened to them. It was a great story, and left lots of room for me to think.

The author did a great job with the alternating perspectives, spacing them out just right. I liked how each person had their own specific voice, and how they said things how they were. The way the characters acted made the book very realistic. It was an excellent read.

I highly recommend this book, especially to dystopian and mystery fans. The book is fairly short making it a quick read, but one that lingers afterwards.

If you're interested, here are some links:




Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this one too! Really well done!
    Nice review.

    -Michael
    littleelfman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of those books that shouldn't be judged on the cover, the blurb sounds great and the story sounds like a must read! Great review, thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael- I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    Lulu- I think the cover sets a nice tone for the book. I think it's the title that throws more people off. But I agree :)

    Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!