1.17.2012

Book Review: The Project by Brian Falkner

Synopsis (from Goodreads.com):
It begins with a book, the most boring book in the world, a book so boring no one could ever read it—the perfect place to hide a dangerous secret.

When best friends Luke and Tommy volunteer to help move books from their library's basement to higher ground during a quick rising flood, they discover the only surviving copy of the most boring book in the world: Leonardo's River, lost for over 100 years. The book is connected to Leonardo da Vinci and is worth millions, so they return that night to steal it. Unfortunately, they're not the only ones with that plan. . .
 
My Review: This book was certainly interesting. Brian Falkner definitely has a unique writing style. It didn't draw me in as much as Brain Jack did, but it was enough to keep me reading.
The main characters, two teenage boys, were funny and realistic. I love that. I especially love the prank the boys pulled that started out the whole misadventure. And then there was something about proving what the most boring book in the world was. That was rather amusing. 

Something that I found rather interesting was that one of the main characters has a photographic memory. It is a constant source of amusement, annoyance, and awe in the book, and turns out to be very important in more than one occasion. The other main character spoke German. Very cool, seeing as I neither have a photographic memory, nor do I speak German.

The whole stealing Leonardo's River thing didn't really turn out as expected. That's part one of the surprise in this book. The thieves weren't exactly crazy book collectors, or people trying to get rich from a crazy book collector. Part two of surprise: Leonardo's River. Not exactly what it seems. Part three: really unexpected. I can't say more without adding spoilers, but I was definitely surprised.

I expected this book to be somewhat cliche and was excited to see that it wasn't, even if it was definitely different. This is a good on-the-side misadventure book. A fun read. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did!



The brilliant book trailer:



Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to check this one out - the cover doesn't appeal to me much but the summary sure does! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and I LOVE your new rating system :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover sort of threw me off two, but it's the words that count ;)

    Thanks Lulu!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!