1.08.2012

Book Review: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern


Synopsis (from Goodreads.com):
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des RĂªves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.

My Review: Wow. This book was magnificent. I am almost speechless.


I was hooked by page one, unable to put the book down as the tale inside unfolded. As the story progressed, I noticed three different parts slowly unfurling and coming together in ways I didn't expect. Throughout the novel there was a sense of excitement and foreboding. Things that seemed unimportant become monumental.


I loved the ways the characters unfolded and became tangible and familiar, and I loved the ways their paths crossed, some in unexpected ways. I loved watching the "game" unfold, holding my breath as I waited for the next move. I especially loved watching the love story shine through.


The Night Circus was beautifully written and wonderfully presented through both the lovely cover and ensnaring opening. The end left me breathless, not wanting it to end but feeling complete and perfect all at once.


I adore this book and am glad to have read it. I will definitely be re-reading it in the near future, and hope that everyone else who reads it loves it as much as I did.

I wish I could give it a million stars:

 
 




Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. I've seen so much praise for this book and I'm really curious about it. I'm definitely going to be reading it, especially since it has a good ending which I find so important. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem :) Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read this. I just reviewed a book, Circus Summer, ppl say it is like this. I have to read TNC to see if its true.
    Great review :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of that one. I'll have to look it up :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!