1.28.2012

Book Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs


Synopsis (from Goodreads.com):
A mysterious island.

An abandoned orphanage.

A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.
My Review: I don't think this book quite lived up to all the hype about it, but I did enjoy it. I'll start out by saying it isn't as creepy or scary as it's made out to be. The creepiest part of the book is the pictures. The pictures are pretty interesting, but I think they took some of the focus off the actual story. I think the book would have been better if it just had the descriptions of the pictures. It is pretty cool how they were included, but it could have been done better.
I enjoyed the characters. They were all realistic and dimensional. They were well-developed and thought out.
The story was unique and engaging. It wasn't as adventurous or action-packed as I thought it would be, but it did have a few interesting twists. There was a little bit of a cliffhanger ending, so I'm hoping the second book pops up soon!
I think it was a great debut novel. It was well thought out, and if the pictures hadn't taken a lot of the spotlight, then it would have been pretty darn awesome.
Despite it's few fall backs, I would definitely recommend this book, especially to mystery and paranormal fans.


Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. Hmm I haven't read this one yet and I am glad that you were honest I posting the book's flaws because I haven't read too many about this one. It made me a little hesitant to read it. Albeit its flaws, I'm glad you enjoyed it. maybe I will pick it up! Great review and thanks for stopping by :)
    -Katie @ Magic isin Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I hope you enjoy it if you decide to read it!

      Delete
  2. It does sound creepy but I'm kind of going into not expecting it to be THAT creepy lol Most books don't creepy me out anymore. But I do love mystery and I have heard about the pictures included so I'm curious! Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I think you'll like this one, if you like mystery.

      Delete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!