1.31.2012

Book Review: The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan


There are many things that Annah would like to forget: the look on her sister's face before Annah left her behind in the Forest of Hands and Teeth, her first glimpse of the Horde as they swarmed the Dark City, the sear of the barbed wire that would scar her for life. But most of all, Annah would like to forget the morning Elias left her for the Recruiters.

Annah's world stopped that day, and she's been waiting for Elias to come home ever since. Somehow, without him, her life doesn't feel much different than the dead that roam the wasted city around her. Until she meets Catcher, and everything feels alive again.

But Catcher has his own secrets. Dark, terrifying truths that link him to a past Annah has longed to forget, and to a future too deadly to consider. And now it's up to Annah: can she continue to live in a world covered in the blood of the living? Or is death the only escape from the Return's destruction?


My Review: I liked this one better than the first one, but sadly I wasn't all that impressed. I don't think the characters were carried over very well from the second book. I didn't think they were all that realistic, and I thought they were all very distant. I didn't feel like the story went anywhere. I felt like I was left where the first one ended. I was sort of confused.

I wish there had been more emotion in the book, and more explanations. How exactly did everything get the way it is? The ending wasn't very satisfying at all. I didn't leave me wanting more like the second book did. It left me thinking... that's it? Nothing happened.

I'm really disappointed that I didn't enjoy this one. I had high hopes for it, and it fell short. I do like all the book covers in the series, though.



Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. I didn't like this one too much either when I read it. I agree that the covers are great. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who are Annah, Elias, and Catcher? I read the first book, so I feel like I should know... (Are these books more like standalone titles that take place in the same world? Or are they actual sequels?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second and third books in the series take place some time after the first book. They are actual sequels, they just focus on different characters. I hope that helped! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!