12.21.2011

Book Review: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Synopsis (from Goodreads.c0m): Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.                                                                                On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.                                                                                            Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.

My Review: Well this book definitely affected me. It was brilliantly written in a very impacting way. It addresses some very real and pressing issues that appear every day. It made the book very realistic and made even more of an impact on me. This is definitely not a happy book. It seemed very serious and very sad. It touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes.


This was definitely a well thought out book. I can tell a lot of time was spent on this. It has a very clear message. The author did a very good job of show casing the snowball effect. One thing leads to another and keeps on building and building until it's too late.


The characters were very well thought out, especially Clay and Hannah. It was sad for me to see how mean and horrible some people could be, and I think Clay felt the same way, but it's also sad to realize that that is the reality. It also shows how things that seem small and insignificant to one person could mean a whole lot more to another. It reinforced the concept of watching what you say. It shows what a big effect just some simple words on a paper can have on someone's entire life. It makes me want to be more careful and more caring about what I say and do.


I loved it. It was brilliant and beautiful and sad. I definitely recommend this book to everyone, no matter what you like to read.


On a happier note, I still have a lot of giveaways happening, and another one coming soon! You can find them all on my giveaway page.


Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you enjoyed it! I loved it as well and it opened my eyes. The snowball effect is very serious. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book earlier in the year and I absolutely loved it as well. It was an amazing and beautiful, but very sad book. I read it in one night and I'm so glad I have a copy of it sitting on my shelf because I will definitely be re-reading it in the near future.

    Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story was a struggle to start. I'd read reviews and read what it was about. I was scared I was going to hate it. However, I started it. I never regreted it. The story was suspenseful and the way the author made Hannah talk was realistic. I enjoyed it even though I do admit I cried towards the end. The characters were realistic, the situation, and the way everyone delt with the pain. Some could care less while others were deeply hurt. Clay Jensen was my hero in this story. His tape was unlike anyone elses and the way he talked about himself and others through out the story won me over. I loved it and would recommend it to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!