11.07.2011

Book Review: The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

Synopsis (from Goodreads.com):                  My name- my True Name- is Ashallyn'darkmyr Tallyn. I am the last remaining son of Mab, Queen of the Unseelie Court.

And I am dead to her.

My fall began, as many stories do, with a girl...

To cold faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing gentler feelings the Winter Prince might have had. Or so he thought.

Then Meghan Chase- a half-human, half-fey slip of a girl- smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer faery can survive,

With the unwelcome company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through its end- a quest to find a way to honor his vow to stand by Meghan's side.

To survive the Iron Realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. And along the way, Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice.
My Review: Huh. Well I loved the first three in the series as you know (if you read my reviews of The Iron King, The Iron Daughter, and The Iron Queen). I wouldn't exactly say I was disappointed with this book, but I didn't love it. I had high expectations for this one, and it didn't quite meet up with them. It sort of lacked the urgency of the other books. It didn't make me feel like Ash's quest to be with Meghan was as... important as their quest to stop the Iron King.

Ash was different in this book. He wasn't as closed off and harsh as in the other books. He didn't seem as focused on what he was doing, either. I guess I liked cold-Ash better. I wasn't a big fan of Puck's in The Iron Queen, but I liked him a lot in this one. As usual, Grimalkin was one of my favorites. Who doesn't like infuriating Faery cats? There were two new-ish characters introduced, one I loved and one I didn't really care for. Just in case you didn't know, I'm a big bad-guy fan. One of my all-time favorite bad-guys was in this book. That's the new-ish character that I loved. Definitely awesome. If you've read the book, you know who I'm talking about. If you haven't, you should find out. The other new-ish character had been mentioned on and off through out the other books, and I liked the way it was described, but I really didn't like the way it turned out. In fact, I think it was sort of dumb to introduce it but unfortunately it needed to be there for the end. I did like how Meghan turned out, though. I think she sort of deserved a break from all the Faery crazy.

I'm a big fan of Faerie books, but I'm also a big fan of Greek mythology books *cough* Percy Jackson *cough.* I liked seeing the connections between the two stories and myths. Like the River Styx (aka The River of Dreams), and the quests. Speaking of the quests, I think that is what saved this book for me. I loved the quests and what they proved, and I loved how they were handled. I also loved what they revealed about Ash.

The end, luckily, was a good one. I won't say anymore here. I enjoyed reading the book, but I didn't love it. I think the end was perfect, just the rest of it bugged me a bit. Ha.



Quick question for people who've read the book. There was a place Ash and Puck and everyone else visited on their journey. Hint: they were really sleepy. It seems reaaaaaaly familiar to me, and I know it's in another story. I know I've read/heard/seen the story. The problem: I don't remember it! And it's driving me crazy! If you know what I'm talking about, please help me out here!

Thanks to everyone for sticking around, even though I haven't been posting very much. NaNoWriMo+AP Literature=Nightmare Mess of Books and Paper, and I'm going to keep doing it anyway. Wish me luck! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!