5.01.2011

Book Review: Reckless by Cornelia Funke

Synopsis (from Shelfari.com):

For years, Jacob Reckless has been escaping to another world--a world behind the mirror, where witches haunt the forests and fairies and dwarfs roam. A world for treasure hunts and magnificent quests--but also a world locked in a deadly war. Jacob's secret seems safe, until one day his younger brother Will follows him, to disastrous consequence. Faced with a curse that is quickly turning Will to stone, the Reckless brothers are thrust into a race against time to find a cure before one of them is lost forever. Inspired by the Brothers Grimm, master storyteller Cornelia Funke introduces a lush, enchanting landscape of fairy tales and legends re-imagined as never before. Reckless is a thrilling adventure and a tale of heroism, filled with danger, mystery, and above all, magic.

My Review: I loved this book! I've always loved Cornelia Funke's books (Inkheart, Dragon Rider, The Thief Lord, etc.) so when I heard about this one I was really excited. It didn't disappoint. The first page didn't really draw me in, but by the end of the first chapter, I was hooked. I couldn't put it down. The world behind the mirror was strange, familiar, new, and exciting. There were quite a few mentions of fairy tales (there's where the familiarity comes in).

The characters. The main character, Jacob Reckless, is my favorite character by far in this book. A close second is his shape-shifter friend in the mirrorworld. I can't think of any characters I didn't like. I love what she did with fairies in this book (Yes! Fairies!). The characters made the story. They usually do, but they were exceptionally good in this one. I liked how everyone was on edge, and how the sides kept switching. I always knew which ones were the bad guys and which were the good guys, but the line between them wasn't bolded. That makes it interesting. I loved how Jacob would do anything to help Will. He did everything to help his brother.

So this is probably one of my favorite of Cornelia Funke's books. Anyone who liked her other books would like this one, as well as Harry Potter fans and fairy tale fans.




Up next for review: Lemonade Mouth by Mark Peter Hughes. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!