5.29.2011

Book Review: I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

Synopsis (from Goodreads.com): Meet Ed Kennedy—underage cabdriver, pathetic cardplayer, and useless at romance. He lives in a shack with his coffee-addicted dog, the Doorman, and he’s hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence, until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery. That’s when the first Ace arrives. That’s when Ed becomes the messenger. . . .

Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary), until only one question remains: Who’s behind Ed’s mission?

My Review:  Alright, so this book made me cry. I don't know what it is with this author but he gets me every time. The book was superb. Like with The Book Thief, I didn't get what I was expecting. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did. The plot really pulled me in. It made me think about a lot of things, like about how there are actual people with the problems and misfortune and trials that the people in this book had, and, unlike in this book, there are no people to help them out.

I love the characters. There are no minor characters, they all have a purpose. They all have a reason for being there. Every single person mentioned in the book has an effect on the outcome. The book wouldn't have turned out the way it did if just one of the characters was missing. The main character Ed was my favorite. His changed the most throughout the book. His views on life and the value of a person were completely different by the time the book ended. His friends were also great characters. Their traditions and their habits amused me to no end. The 'bad-guys' were comical at some points, and frightening at others. What I liked most is that they all had a purpose.

The ending was one I didn't expect. It hit me pretty hard. It was very effective, and made me want to make a difference. I won't say anymore here.

With this book, If you haven't read it yet, you need to. I don't say that a lot, the need to part, but this one needs to be read.



On that note, thanks for reading! Up next for review: Entice by Carrie Jones.

2 comments:

  1. Ooo we loved THE BOOK THIEF, so we were wondering about this. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem :) Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!