4.05.2011

Book Review: Need by Carrie Jones

Synopsis (from Goodreads.com):

Zara White suspects there's a freaky guy semi-stalking her. She's also obsessed with phobias. And it's true, she hasn't exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But exiling her to shivery Maine to live with her grandmother? That seems a bit extreme. The move is supposed to help her stay sane...but Zara's pretty sure her mom just can't deal with her right now.

She couldn't be more wrong. Turns out the semi-stalker is not a figment of Zara's overactive imagination. In fact, he's still following her, leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust. There's something not right - not human - in this sleepy Maine town, and all signs point to Zara.

My Review: My first impression of this book (when I saw it on the shelf and Barnes and Noble) was "Great. Another vampire book." Even after reading the back cover with the tidbit about the gold dust, I still thought that. I bought it anyway. To my surprise and enjoyment, I soon found out that this is NOT another vampire book. I think the cover had a major part in that though. It looks like the cover of a vampire book. It reminds me of the cover of Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz. See my logic there?
Anyway, this book was pretty good. I didn't love it, but I liked it a lot. I liked how Zara was obsessed with phobias. That was amusing. I also found the concept of were-tigers and were-eagles amusing. There was also a werewolf and a bunch of pixies. The pixies were kind of like vampires. Hmmm.

Characters. I'm going to start with Zara. She was kind of stupid sometimes. She took a lot of pushing to believe things, even when they were right underneath her nose. And she did stupid things, like running at night. Despite all that, I liked her character. Her grandmother on the other hand, was hard core. I can't say much more without giving anything away. There was a little bit of cliche with some of the characters. There was the equivalent of the evil cheerleader and a jealous, overly-helpful guy who showed the new girl around. Hmmm.

So overall this book was nothing new, except that it takes place in Maine. I did enjoy reading it. If you're a hard core (sorry, I can't help it. My friend says it all the time) faery fan, you will either find this book amusing or not like it at all. If you're a hard core vampire fan, you will either like this book a lot, or be amused at the cliche-ness of it.



Up next: a trip to the bookstore and a review of Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick. Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. The cover does have that feel to it, I agree. Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many Twilight-style vampire books out there, that it is refreshing to find one that is actually original and has a plot of it's own. I might need to pick this up next time I'm at the library. - Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good, yet it's been compared to twilight ALOT!
    I have this one on my shelf, perhaps i'll pick it up soon!

    Perhaps if you have time, would you mind checking out my blog?
    Thanks!
    http://lovelylilbookworm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll head on over :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!