4.19.2011

Book Review: Matched by Ally Condie

Synopsis (from Goodreads.com):

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.


My Review: The cover is what initially drew my eye to this book. It's gorgeous. I saw it and I wanted to read it. The I read the summary. Ugh. Science fiction. I hate science fiction. There are very few exceptions (The Hunger Games, The Maze Runner). The cover was enough to keep me interested, though. I looked it up, read some great reviews, and decided to give it a chance.


I started reading it as soon as I finished The Book Thief. I realized pretty quickly that I wouldn't love this book. It didn't draw me in, not at all. I had to force myself to keep reading. It wasn't until three-quarters of the way through that it really caught my attention, and then I was let down with the end. It wasn't very well written. I'm hoping the second book will fix that. Another thing that made it un-likable to me was that it was too much like The Hunger Games. Not very original at all.


I really wanted to like this book. I really didn't.


As for recommendations, you will probably enjoy this book if you like scifi, but not so much if you loved The Hunger Games.




Up next for review: The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff. Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. I guess because I didn't read the Hunger Games I enjoyed this one. (Though I really need to read that series ASAP!) Sorry to hear it didn't live up to your expectations :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way with this book! I heard so many great things about it and was like, oh wow, this is going to be amazing! Haha, no. It wasn okay, but I was disappointed. Sorry it didn't live up to your expectations either :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stoping by :) I guess I set the bar to high for this one, what with all the great reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!