2.22.2011

Book Review: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Synopsis (from Goodreads.com): It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Narrated by Death, Markus Zusak's groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a young foster girl living outside of Munich in Nazi Germany. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she discovers something she can't resist- books. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever they are to be found.

With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, Liesel learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids, as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement.


My Review: I'm just going to come right out and say it: this book made me cry my eyes out. Right from the beginning I could tell this book would be a real tear-jerker. If you're not big into books that make you cry, don't even go near this one.

Death was a very interesting character. He was sarcastic, snarky, and compassionate all at the same time. I think the reason I like him the most, though, was because of the way he saw little children. Death's job is to carry the souls of those who die away. When little children die, he would carry their souls cradled gently in his arms. I like the thought of that.

The writing style Mr. Zusak uses is quite unique. He created a tangled web of plots and characters that wasn't too terribly confusing, but it didn't completely come together until the very end. He also tells you how the book ends several times throughout the story, but when you get to that point, it still manages to shock you.

All the characters were really well thought out and almost all of them had some importance at one time or another. I love the way the very end of the book makes you think. I love how you get to watch the dominos fall, one by one, until there's nothing but a pile of them left. I definitely recomend this book to anyone who hasn't read it yet, and anyone who likes a book that will make you cry. *This book has officially made it onto my favorites list.*



In other news, I'm extending my giveaway! Don't forget to check it out, the link is on my right sidebar. Also, I will be reviewing The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan next, so keep an eye out for that. I hope everyone's week is going great! Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. This is in my TBR pile. I actually started it a while ago, when I had it from the library. I should finish it before I forget what I've already read!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!