11.20.2010

The City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder—much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It’s hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing—not even a smear of blood—to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary’s first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It’s also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace’s world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .


Alright, The City of Bones. Let me start off by saying I really enjoy this book. A warning for all nit-picky readers: this book is overloaded with similes, so if things like that bother you, I wouldn't suggest reading this book. If you are like me, however, and you pass over unimportant things like too many similes, then pick up this book. I first read this book when we were taking finals in school last year. I finished all my tests pretty quickly so I had a lot of time to read. I finished this in about half a day, which obviously means I read really fast, which is probably why I didn't notice all the similes, but it doesn't bother me anyway.
Enough about similes.
Lets start with Clary. She's an artist. She likes the Pandemonium Club. She says some pretty funny things. She's fairly independent. Her best friend's name is Simon. She lives with her mom in New York. She never knew her real father. Her mom's best friend Luke is like a father to her. The end.
Now for Simon. He's a gamer. He's in a band that spends most of its time arguing over band names. He hates the Pandemonium Club and only goes because Clary likes it. He's Jewish. He's a vegetarian. Clary is his best friend. That's it.
Jace. Ah Jace. Everyone loves Jace. Seriously, ask around. He's a demon hunter, he tends to have a smart mouth, he's pretty full of himself, and he has a pretty face. Yeah, he's pretty awesome.
Sounds like some pretty interesting characters, am I right? Well those are only the major characters. We can't forget the Lightwoods, Luke, Hodge, Magnus, and some others which I don't think I'll mention at this point in time.
The point to made from this review is I liked this book and have read it multiple times. I recommend it to non-picky readers. :)



Completely unrelated statement: I just saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part one today. It was spectacular, which means a lot coming form me. It is a well known fact that I detest most of the Harry Potter movies (major HP book fan here), so for me to say I loved this movie must mean something, right?

Don't forget to answer the question above and thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. Just hopping by...Hope you enjoy the holidays.

    Here's my hop post:

    (click my name)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to get tickets to go see HP this week, super excited! Couldn't make it the opening weekend, but it is happening soon..
    - Dee, hopping from e-Volving Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this book as well! (: And oh-my-goodness, it's FULL with similes that it's not even funny, but you can skim right through them.

    Thank you for reviewing this book, and oh my! You do read fast!

    ~Brianna

    P.S. I'm a late starter to the Harry Potter fan club. I'm only on book two. . . ._.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey better late than never! I hope you love Harry Potter as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!