10.31.2010

Hmmmm,

Everybody knows Christopher Paolini, right? The author of Eragon, Eldest, and Brisingr? Some people know him as a kid who got lucky, others know him as the greatest authors of our time. I know him as neither, but I thought I'd mention those titles just in case you did. Before I get to my point, I'd just like to say that I like his books. I'd also like to say that his books aren't that good. I don't mean the content, I mean the writing itself. Lot's of people seemed to have not noticed this, but I forgive them, and you if you are one of them, because I read like a writer. I can tell I'm getting a lot of blank stares now, so please allow me to explain.

This may come as sort of a shock to you, but this blog was not originally a book blog. This blog is first and foremost a writing blog. I started it because I am a writer. Please don't mistake that as me saying I'm an author, because I'm not. But I will be, and that is something you can count on. I would be the first to admit that my writing isn't that good. Sure, I'm better than some, but I'm not that good. Christopher Paolini's writing abilities are about as good as mine, or at least for Eragon and Eldest. I do have a few stories that might possibly be better than his but he still has something on me. He's actually finished three novels. My finished novel count: 0. I'm planning on changing that this month. I'm getting off track here. When I say that I read like a writer, I mean that I look at it differently than people who just read for fun. I'm still reading for fun, but I tend to pick the book apart a little more than is intended. I look for what makes the story good or bad and then I look for the reason. I can tell I'm not doing a very good job at explaining this. It's kinda hard to explain. If you still don't get what I'm trying to say go google it 'cause I'm pretty sure I'll just confuse you if I keep talking/typing.

Now I'm finally getting to my point. Hurray! Over at Random Buzzers, this author that I keep mentioning is being featured. Later this week he will be answering questions of many adoring fans. One not-so-adoring fan (me) asked this question:

There are a lot of young authors who resent you because you got published and they haven't because they heard you had family connections. What makes them particularly upset is the fact that Eragon isn't much better than what they can come up with. Don't get me wrong, I loved Eragon and the next two (especially Brisingr) were almost amazing (I'm a Harry Potter fan, sorry). Moving on to my actual question, what would you say to one of those young writers?



Haha, I found this particularly hard to write, because I am a fan and I do love your books, but I really am curious. Also, I just want to say that I am NOT resentful in anyway. I had always wanted to be a writer but when the book fair presentation of Eragon when I was in elementary school told me that you weren't much older than me when you wrote it I got excited and decided that I would write a book someday and lots of people would read it because writing isn't just for old dead guys. Thanks for that!
Yeah. I really asked that question. It took me somewhere around 20 minutes to write that question. It was really hard. Once again, I do like his books, and I am in no way resentful of him, but I really asked that question and I intend to hear an answer. Some of you may be asking 'So? What's the big deal?' The big deal is that I am the only one who posted on that forum who wasn't a super mega fan with twenty million 'what if?' questions about his books. Also, I'm generally a nice person (some say too nice) and I hate sounding rude (most of the time. There are special occasions). If and when he answers, I'll post it, but in the meantime, feel free to tell me what you think. Do you like his books? Do you disagree with me? Do you agree with me? Was my question rude? Would you have asked something like that? I want to know!

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. I've never read his books, but from what I've heard, they were essentially self-published in the beginning... which is something that anybody can do (provided you have enough money). Someone took a fancy to the first book, and it got picked up by a major publisher. I don't know if there's really anything to feel resentful about. That sort of thing could happen to anyone (especially if the book is good enough or really appeals to a certain audience).

    ReplyDelete
  2. His family owned a small publishing company which is one reason people get mad. I think that's a dumb reason to hate someone. Another thing is that his writing isn't that good. They don't think it's fair that someone who doesn't write any better than them got published and famous. But like I said, that doesn't mean anything to me. I just wanted to know what he would say ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to have found you via the Hop. Good for you for sticking with your writing and your goal of being published. That takes some tenacity :)

    I've yet to read Paolini, but his road-to-publication story is interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments, and I read every single one that's left, and I try to respond to them all. Thanks for being awesome!

Search this blog!